▲Potluck Party:一種聚餐方式,主人準備場地和餐具,參加的人必須帶一道菜或準
備飲料,最好事先問問主人的意思。
▲Pull over!把車子開到旁邊。
▲Drop me a line!寫封信給我。Give me a ring.= Call me!來個電話吧!
▲For here or to go?堂食或外賣。
▲cool; That's cool!等於台灣年輕人常用的口語「酷!」,表示不賴嘛!用於人或事均可。
▲What's up? = What's happening? = What's new?見面時隨口問候的話「最近在忙
什麼?有什麼新鮮事嗎?一般的回答是「Nothing much!」或「Nothing new!」
▲Cut it out! = Knock it out!= Stop it!少來這一套!同學之間開玩笑的話。
▲Don't give me a hard time!別跟我過不去好不好!
▲Get yourself together!振作點行不行!
▲Do you have "the" time?現在幾點鐘?可別誤以為人家要約你出去。
▲Hang in there. = Don't give up. = Keep trying.再撐一下。
▲Give me a break !你饒了我吧!(開玩笑的話)
▲Hang on.:請稍候。
▲Blow it. = Screw up.搞砸了。
▲What a big hassle.真是個麻煩事。
▲What a crummy day.多倒霉的一天。
▲Go for it.加油
▲You bet. = Of course.當然;看我的!
▲Wishful thinking.一廂情願的想法。
▲Don't be so fussy!:別那麼挑剔好不好。
▲It's a long story.:唉!說來話長。
▲How haveyou been? = How are you doing? 你過得如何?近來可好?
▲take things for granted.自以為理所當然。
▲Don't put on airs.:別擺架子。
▲Wishful thinking. 一廂情願的想法。
▲Don't be so fussy! 別那麼挑剔好不好!
▲Give me a lift!=Give me a ride! 送我一程吧!
▲Have a crush on someone. 迷戀某人。
▲What's the catch? 有什麼內幕?
▲Party animal. 開Party狂的人(喜歡參加舞會的人)。
▲Pain in the neck.= Pain in the ass. 討厭的東西、人或事
▲Skeleton in the closet. 家醜
▲Don't get on my nerve! 別把我惹毛了!
▲A fat chance.= A poor chance. 機會很小。
▲Don't put on airs! 別擺架子!
▲I am racking my brains. 我正在絞盡腦汁。
▲She's a real drag. 她真有點礙手礙腳。
▲Spacingout.= daydreaming. 做白日夢。
▲I am so fed up. 我受夠了!
▲It doesn't go with your dress. 跟你的衣服不配。
▲What's the point?= What are you trying to say? 你的重點是什麼?
▲By all means.= Definitely. 一定是
▲Let's get a bite.= Let's go eat. 去吃點東西吧!
▲I'll buy you a lunch (a drink; a dinner).
= It's on me.= My treat. 我請客
▲Let's go dutch. 各付各的
▲My stomach is upset. 我的胃不舒服
▲diarrhea [dai r'i ] 拉肚子
▲吃牛排時,waitor 會問 " How would you like it ? " 就是問「要幾分熟?」的意
思,可以選擇rare,medium或well-done。英語之鑰
▲I am under the weather. = I am not feeling well.我不太舒服!
▲May I take a rain check?可不可改到下次?(例如有人請你吃飯,你未能赴約,
只好請他改到下一次。)
▲I am not myself today. 我今天什麼都不對勁!
▲Let's get it straight. 咱們把事情弄清楚!
▲What's the rush! 急什麼!
▲Such a fruitcake! 神經病!
▲I'll swing by later. = I'll stop by later. 待會兒,我會來轉一下。
▲I got the tip straight from the horse's mouth. 這個消息是千真萬確的(tip指消息)!
▲easy as pie = very easy = piece of cake 很容易
▲flunk out 被當掉
▲take french leave 不告而別
▲I don't get the picture.= I don't understand. 我不明白。
▲You should give him a piece of your mind. 你應該向他表達你的不滿。
▲hit the road = take off = get on one's way 離開
▲Now he is in the driver's seat = He is in control now.
▲Keep a low profile (or low key). 採取低姿態
▲Kinky = bizarre = wacky = weird 古怪的
▲klutz (=clutz) = idiot 白癡、笨蛋
▲know one's way around 識途老馬
▲lion's share 大部份
▲tailgate 尾隨 (尤其跟車跟得太近)
▲take a back seat. 讓步
▲take a hike = leave me alone = get lost 滾開
▲hit the hay = go to bed 睡覺
▲Can you give me a lift ? = Can you give me a ride ? 載我一 程好嗎?
▲green hand 生手、沒有經驗的人
▲moonshine = mountain dew 指私釀的烈酒(威士忌)或走私的酒。胡說八道也可用mo
onshine。His story is plain moonshine.
▲chill out = calm down = relax (來自黑人英語)
▲rip off = steal; I was ripped off.我被偷了;rip off 也常被用為「剝奪」My
right was ripped off.權利被剝奪(來自黑人英語)。
▲我們稱美國大兵為G.I.(Government Issue)or GI Joe, 德國兵或德國佬為Fritz or
Kraut, 稱英國佬為John Bull, 日本人為Jap.或 Nip, 猶太人為Jew都是很不禮貌的稱
呼。
▲mess around (with)瞎混Get to work. Don't mess around. 趕快工作,別瞎攪和
。
▲snob 勢利眼
▲sneak in, sneak out偷偷溜進去,溜出來。sneakers 運動鞋
▲She is such a brown-noser. 她是個馬屁精。
▲This is in way over my head. 對我而言這實在太難了。
▲I am an exam jitter and I always get a cramp in mystomach. 我是個考試緊張
大師,一考試胃就抽筋。
▲Keep your study(work) on track. 請按進度讀書(工作)。
▲Did you come up with any ideas? 有沒有想到什麼新的意見?
▲Don't get uptight ! Take it easy. 別緊張,慢慢來!
▲Cheese ! It tastes like cardboard. Cheese 吃起來味如嚼臘!
▲Get one's feet wet. 與中文裡的「涉足」或「下海」,寓意相同,表示初嘗某事
。I am going to try dancing for the veryfirst time. Just to get my feet w
et.
( 資料來源:http://www.saec.edu.tw/chinese/nyjournal/007/3.txt )
留言列表